The Driver Inventory (DI) is an automated (computer scored with reports printed on-site in 2 ½ minutes) driver assessment test. The DI was developed in response to evaluators that wanted to focus upon driver attitudes, temperament and outlook.
There have been major advances in assessment testing. We now think in terms of databases, field-based research, local standardization of tests, and even annual re-standardization. The impact of this technology continues to reshape not only our attitudes toward assessment, but also the quality and comprehensiveness of obtained information.
By merging the latest psychometrics with computer technology, staff can now objectively gather a vast amount of relevant information, identify client problems and formulate specific intervention and treatment strategies.
DI diskettes contain copyrighted software programs and all rights are reserved. Staff are cautioned not to attempt to copy DI diskettes, nor attempt loading these programs on a hard disk drive, as these diskettes are copy-protected and such acts would damage the program on the diskette, rendering it unusable. Attempts to copy these programs is also a violation of federal copyright law. All diskettes, including used, damaged or recalled diskettes, are to be returned to Behavior Data Systems, Ltd.
The DI is a self-report test that is completed by the client, either individually or in group settings. There are no forms or questionnaires to be completed by the staff. DIs are scored and interpreted by the computer which generates printed DI reports on-site within three minutes of test completion. These reports eliminate the need for tedious, time consuming and error prone hand scoring. Staff report writing, substantiation of decision making and record keeping needs are met with DI reports.
Staff may not be clinicians or diagnosticians. Staff's role has often been to identify risk and related substance (alcohol and other drugs) abuse problems prior to recommending intervention. For example, intervention could include an education program, further clinical evaluation, treatment or court-related intervention. It is recognized that staff members could obtain important information from another source, e.g., interview with the family, collateral interview, available records, etc.
The Driver Inventory (DI) was designed to be different. It is deliberately short and easy to understand. Many clients complete the DI in 15 minutes. The DI was designed to be non-introversive. It does not make respondents defensive or angry. And, the DI is comprehensive. Its five scales (Truthfulness, Aggressiveness, Driver Risk, Self-Rating and Stress Coping) represent important areas of inquiry.
The DI diskette contains all of the software needed to score and print reports, while automatically storing the data in its expanding database. From the time a staff member is handed a DI answer sheet, they can have a scored and printed report within 3 minutes.
1. TRUTHFULNESS SCALE: The Truthfulness Scale is a measure of how truthful the client was while completing the DI. This scale identifies self-protective, recalcitrant and guarded clients who minimize or even conceal information. This scale is designed to detect faking.
2. AGGRESSIVENESS SCALE: The Aggressiveness Scale is a measure of the client's risk-taking behavior, acting out potential and aggressiveness. Aggressiveness is an important trait in violent crimes. This scale helps detect the abstaining, yet irresponsibly aggressive client.
3. SELF-RATING: Reflects a person's explicit valuing and appraisal of self. It incorporates an attitude of acceptance-approval versus rejection-disapproval.
4. STRESS COPING SCALE: Measures client experienced stress in comparison to coping abilities. This scale measures how well the client copes with stress.
5. DRIVER RISK SCALE: The Driver Risk Scale is a measure of the client's driver risk, independent of their involvement with alcohol or other drugs. This scale is helpful in detecting the abstaining, yet irresponsibly aggressive driver.
To review a DI example report, click on this DI Example Report link.